Mrs. L. Gilbert donated land for a cemetery and a school back on June 6, 1889. The first person buried in the cemetery is unknown by name, but legend has it that a family was passing through the community and their small boy took sick with Yellow Fever and died. He was buried in the southwest corner of the cemetery. The cemetery has been enlarged since it's beginning and now consists of about four acres of land.
More information can be found here: (source: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txdicken/afton/cemetery.htm)