This cemetery is located one-half mile east of Dickens on a hillside, just before you go down into the Croton Breaks.
Dickens Cemetery started in 1891, when Mrs. Charlie Jones passed away on February 1. Her husband, Charlie was a barber heading west hunting a new home. Mr. Jones buried his wife on a beautiful hillside about one mile east of Dickens. He set up shop in Dickens and remained until he had built a stone fence around his wife´s grave by hauling rocks from the breaks. Although the Cemetery Association has remodeled the wall, it still stands today as a monument of his devotion to his wife. Howard Henry donated a marker placed on her grave to designate it as the first grave in the cemetery.
The land belonged to Dr. Crow of Stephenville, one of the founders of the City of Dickens. He deeded five acres to the town of Dickens. Since then the following persons have donated land: Roy Ward and Glenn Latham, and Col. John A. Green. In 1981 the heirs of Col. John A. and Sue V. Green donated the remainder of their estate that joins the Cemetery to the Association. This donation of about 12 acres gives the Cemetery room to expand for many years to come.
The front fence was built in 1919. In 1941, after years of neglect, the townspeople got together and cleaned the Cemetery. Willow Street, Howard McKnight, and Fonzo Shaw furnished trucks. Three days were spent cleaning and hauling. The ladies in town prepared the noon meal and served it in the parking lot. To these people, a debt of gratitude is expressed. At the end of third day a Cemetery Association was formed. Willow Street was elected president. Under his leadership a perpetual care fund has been established. The Cemetery is well maintained and cared for.
An Annual Memorial Day Program is held at this cemetery honoring the 131 graves of veterans of the Civil War, Spanish-American, World War I and World War II, Korean and Vietnam conflicts.